Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 and Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 govern the relationship between tenant and landlord. Renting a residential property is much easier and safer since the Housing Act 1988 and the implementation of the 1996 amendments. However, renting a property is often a big commitment and it is therefore important to have some guidelines and general advice on what to do and what not to do to make your tenancy as successful as possible. Ensure the landlord or agent you rent from is a member of NLA or UKALA and subscribes to our Code of Practice - then you can be confident your rental will be professionally managed.







Whether you are in the process of drafting or signing a residential lease or in the process of evicting a Tenant or ending your tenancy, we can assist you so you will comply with all the applicable laws and protect your interests.

Knowing what your rights and obligations is always key. Regulations set out different rules but also safeguards the rights of both Landlord and Tenants.  Whether you are looking to evict your tenant or recover unpaid rent, the legal process involved in each of these matters can be overwhelming and stressful. By retaining us you will have the certainty of knowing that somebody with the experience needed to look after your case is handling your matter for you.
Tenants may also file Applications if they feel that the landlord has done something contrary to Law.

If you are a landlord experiencing problems with a tenant, or a tenant having problems with a landlord, we offer full representation. Our services include tenancy agreements, the drafting of forms, the serving of documents and representation at Hearings.
Our goal is to resolve disputes regarding unpaid rent, tenant complaints; review the guideline for rent increases, evictions and disagreements between tenants and landlords in accordance with the Landlord and Tenant Act.
We provide Landlords or Tenants with rental applications, leases, guarantor agreements, credit reports collections and evictions. 
We specialise in Landlord and Tenant Law for all types of Residential matters including:
  •        Defence to Tenant Applications
  •        Demolition
  •        Eviction
  •        Illegal Acts
  •        Landlord & Tenant Disputes
  •        Landlord & Tenant Representation
  •        Leases
  •        Litigation
  •        Mediation
  •        Persistent
  •        Late Pay
  •        Personal Use
  •        Quiet Enjoyment
  •        Rent Arrears
  •        Rent Increases
  •        Repairs
  •        Residential Landlord and Tenant Law
  •        Landlord and Tenant Act
  •        Small Claims Court
  •        Subletting
We can advise and represent either tenants or landlords and guide them through the Applicant/Respondent process to a productive and successful final or interim decision.

 Call us     01234 854055,      07428793410


Disputes about rent

You may be able to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal if you're a private tenant in England and think your rent is too high.
The tribunal is independent, and can change the rent if it's unfair.
You can usually appeal when you get a letter from your landlord about a rent increase.
The tribunal can keep the rent at the same level or lower it. In most cases they also have the power to increase the rent.

Time limits for appealing to the tribunal

There are deadlines for appealing to the tribunal, depending on the type of tenancy:
  • assured or assured shorthold tenancy - before the new rent is due to start
  • regulated tenancy - within 28 days of the rent being decided by the rent officer
Check your tenancy agreement if you're not sure what type of tenancy you have.


 The Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) emphasise the important of:

* setting reasonable and realistic rent levels
* nominating a representative (e.g. a letting agentt) to take charge on moving day
* building up a network of reliable local maintenance contractors to deal with any issues
* obtaining a reference from every incoming tenant
* arranging securty and backup keys

Another key issue is compiling a detailed inventory. 

The new Localism Act means landlords now face fines of up to three times the deposit if it is not registered with a tenancy deposit scheme within 30 days. 

As a leaseholder in England, you can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal if you disagree with changes to your lease, including:

  • service charges
  • extending a lease
  • buying the freehold
  • insuring the building

The tribunal is independent and can decide if a charge is too high or unreasonable, or if changes to the lease are fair.